Tuesday 17 June 2014

Crazy nine patch

I found a tutorial on You Tube on how to make a crazy nine patch blocks some time ago. The title puzzled me a bit because I was searching for 'crazy four patch' but soon everything was clear. It amazes me how fun and easy it is!
So, first you choose your fabrics and I have a very colourful one with letters, black and white with numbers and matching fabrics with dots and simple patterns.



I have made six big nine-patch blocks, black on white dots always in the middle, numbers and letters in the corners.



When they are laid out you can see that this is not the best design... 



But than I cut them into smaller blocks. This reminds me of what I read some time ago about how quilters are crazy because they cut perfectly good fabrics to sew them back together, but the craziest ones cut it again ;)



Every block was cut into four. See how number and letter fabrics are not cut, but the black dots are cut into small squares - this is exactly what I wanted.


And then came turning, shuffling, turning and shuffling again and again until I was happy with the layout. And I tell you, it was FUN.



I love how the quilt top looks, now I just need to buy wadding (shame, it refuses to just grow in my stash...), and quilt it. Bright orange thread, me thinks :D

No comments:

Post a Comment