Sunday 26 February 2012

Making compost

Finally, instead of waiting till God only knows when for the money to spend on proper compost bin I have bought plastic compost bag for £3 in my supermarket. And finally my conscience was happy when making soup I didn't throw anything - I just put all the peelings aside to make compost :) Nothing's wasted.


For quite some time now I am trying to reduce our waste "production". We are doing our best at recycling but all the time it was bugging me how much raw stuff I throw away that could be used in composting. As I mainly cook from scratch there is always a lot of peelings. And there is usually some tired cucumbers or peppers of bananas that I can't force myself to eat but I don't want to throw away. And more often then I like there is a forgotten apple or tangerine on the bottom of the fruit bowl. So I could finally get rid of all this stuff and at the same moment produce something useful.
And then I remembered - you can also put eggshells in. So I made a banana loaf and voila: more things used, not wasted.


Now fingers crossed it will all turn into lovely, earthy compost and not just smelly bag of rotten waste.



1 comment: